I Believe That .....
- A home should be your sanctuary. It should welcome you. It should make you smile when you go in each room. I believe if this happens, it will reduce your stress and improve your ability to face the world when you do venture out.
- It’s all about YOU. I don’t believe that a designer should impose their design style on their clients. I do believe that the design process should involve careful consideration of your vision, your lifestyle and your maintenance requirements.
- Comfort and function come first, and design is a very close second. I believe you can and should have both.
- You should be able to incorporate your sentimental and favourite items into your new space. Some designers expect you to get rid of everything and start from scratch.
- By displaying sentimental items, it will make you love your space even more. Baby shoes can be put in a shadow box. Special items can be put in a glass box or cloche. Items can be photographed and framed.
- Some items can be repurposed to work in your new space. You can reupholster a chair, or repaint or stain a coffee table or bookcase.
- You don't need to shop at high-end design stores. It really comes down to your budget and how much you are willing and able to spend. You can purchase everything from high-end stores, or you can purchase everything from IKEA and Home Sense. Both offer aesthetically pleasing product.
- You should follow design rules. Design rules are there for a reason – to keep us on track and to ensure an aesthetically pleasing result every time.
- Colour is what can make or break your space. Everything has an undertone – floor tiles, hardwood floors, countertops, backsplashes, plumbing fixtures, fabric, wall colour, etc… - everything. And these undertones all have to work together. If they don’t, your space will look either just a bit off to simply awful. It is important to get it right.
- That your home should be your favourite place in the world to be.